Trump to seek another $8.6 billion for border wall in budget
Staff Host Account
/ Categories: Islam Times-English

Trump to seek another $8.6 billion for border wall in budget

The 2020 budget request would surpass the $5.7 billion Trump demanded last year that led to funding standoff with Congress. It resulted in a 35-day partial shutdown of the US government. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) slammed the move, warning Trump that another legislative defeat would await him. "President Trump hurt millions of Americans and caused widespread chaos when he recklessly shut down the government to try to get his expensive and ineffective wall, which he promised would be paid for by Mexico," the Democratic leaders said. "Congress refused to fund his wall and he was forced to admit defeat and reopen the government. The same thing will repeat itself if he tries this again," they added. "We hope he learned his lesson." The request is in addition to the $8.1 billion Trump already has access to, which includes around $3.6 billion he wants to shift from military accounts after declaring a national emergency last month. On February 15, Trump declared a national emergency to bypass congressional approval and secure funding for the construction of his controversial wall. A few days later, lawmakers in the House of Representatives voted to revoke the president’s national emergency declaration despite veto threats by the White House. Congress had denied Trump’s request for $5.7 billion for the wall and instead approved nearly $1.4 billion. White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow also expressed concerns that the new funding request would likely mean a renewed fight in Congress. "I suppose there will be," he told "Fox News Sunday." But Kudlow added the president "is going to stay with his wall. He is going to stay with his border security. I think it's essential." Congress must approve funding for fiscal 2020 by October 1, or the government could shut down. Trump will also seek $750 billion for defense as a boost for the military, but he will cut non-defense discretionary spending by 5 percent below the cap, according to an administration official. The president had earlier called the Department of Defense's current budget of $716 billion "crazy."

Link to original article

Previous Article Venezuela: Guaido to declare state of emergency over power outage
Next Article Saudi war damages education sector in Yemen: UNICEF
Print
53 Rate this article:
No rating

Leave a comment

Add comment

x
«May 2019»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
29
301
2
3
4
5
6
7
89
1011
12
13
14
1516
171819
20
212223242526
272829303112
3456789